Answer these six questions in relation to the audience for your digital narrative:
- Why are you creating this story? Goals, rationale, purpose, premise? What do you want your audience to experience or understand? The digital narrative “Baking my pastry” is based on real experience of my friend to reedit the structure. Originally, I just thought her story is unique and inspiring that could be a good source as a documentary to encourage young people pursue their dream. However, when I saw the digital comic website, I decided to turn this story as comic format so that the visualisation could be illustrated as creative and unrestrained on characters and pastry.
- What is your story? In what way will it be original, surprising, human, passionate, truthful or relevant to your audience?
Baking my pastry describes that the story of Margarita Chen who is an amateur in pastry making, bravely pursues her dream and becomes a pastry chef and owns her bakery. The story focuses on the transformation about a young lady from previous media background into new industry in pastry. The comic narrative will include other characters such as her boyfriend Steven and her friend Millie, also gives their relationship and conflict during each chapter.
The comic will demonstrate as humor and vivid style, because it is a true story with Protagonist’s enthusiasm and insistence that I wish to deliver the approachable spirit to the audiences and inspire them to plan their further career.
- Where will you publish your story? What platform/s and hardware are suited to your audience? E-books, blogs, videos, photos, podcasts, tweets, status updates, apps, games, forums, websites?
The digital comic will be published on a animated website “WEBTOON” as main platform, which includes distinct genres of comic to satisfy different audiences. Readers are required to execute flash player on their electronic device online to see the interactive comic, also the content can be shared on social media Facebook, Twitter and URL link copy to spread the comic.
- Who is your audience? Who is your target viewer/user – i.e. the group you will target in promoting the work?
The young generations who are interested in comic books and pastry will be my main audiences. Due to the protagonist is a young lady, the targeted audiences is also aim to female (20-40) and young entrepreneurs who are inspired from the story that believe such the case could be happened in their life.
Nevertheless, no matter what ages the viewers are, the target audiences will enjoy the interactive comic and remain positive attitude for their live, which is my original purpose to create this comic.
- When will you create the content and start to engage your audience? What is the production process and publishing schedule?
The project will start to create in digital comic format once the script has been done and get the consensus with my main character Margarita Chen. Basically, the production process will depend on the plot of each chapter to insert the sound effect and movable object in particular scenes.
My stylistic elements will illustrate as dynamic and vivid style, main characters will dress as their occupation and personality. Some location would arrange real pictures such as protagonist’s home, office and Melbourne city. There are few sound effect or lively background music will be inserted in some grids.
My editing tool will be Adobe Animate CC to sketch the animation, meanwhile, I will inquire 1 or 2 practitioners of digital comic to assist me complete the story. After the project in final editing procedure, I will contact the comic website “WEBTOON” to negotiate and arrange the publish schedule.
- How will your audience participate in the narrative? Will they be able to contribute to the narrative, alter the narrative, respond to the narrative?
When the viewers read this interactive comic, they can choose switch on/off to play the sound effect and the scene of movable effect. There is a comment bar under each chapter that readers can leave their opinions to creator or discuss to each other. In addition, users can scroll mouse down/up repeatedly to see the movable or shining grid that immerse into story.
Although audiences engage the interactive comic after post-production, the story will be easily to share on many social media channels and viewers can decide what type effect (on/off) they want to share with their friends when they receive the comic.